View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBookNewbie123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenr_nz View Post
In my first weeks as an undergraduate, an employer came to speak to a group of us about what our degrees really meant. He said "I view someone with a bachelors degree as having 'a license to start learning'", which I think is the important point. A degree shows an employer that you can think, not that you know it all, which is something many graduates don't understand.
Dumbest thing I ever heard.
Actually, it's not dumb. You should read up on Knowledge Workers. There is so much information in today's business world, that it's not about WHAT you know, it's about whether or not you can figure it out and know how to find answers. Of course, this is not an absolute for all fields of work.
Quote:
Someone I know told me that a friend of hers went to a University which basically spoon fed everything to them. They didn't really need to think to 2:2 minimum. Someone else I know is doing a Computer Science degree and has no idea how to fix a computer....
Yes, there are always exceptions. Especially when it's something you heard from a friend of a friend about a friend.

Quote:
The other problem is this: It's not what you know, but who you know.
Well yeah, that's always been true. That's why networking is so important, and why many Master's programs (at least in the States) concentrate on networking functions.

Quote:
Someone else I know (They go to a top University) told me about a friend he knows who just did drugs and drank alcohol the entire year they were at University and then left and went to work with their dad. (His father owns a company)
Don't we all know someone who did that? You sound very bitter.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote