View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 01:24 AM   #10
Demas
Connoisseur
Demas has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Notion Ink Adam
I'm confused, you're saying they've shown more but then promise less? Could you give some examples?

I kind of feel the reverse. Like despite discussions about a thinner version with custom hardware and a matte screen, we still keep seeing the thicker mock-up. In addition they equivocate things like their collision-interaction demo with gaming or fractal animations with real-world java-script loads. Finally, there have definitely been on camera moments where the responsiveness of the capacitive input (whether software, hardware, or both) has be less than smooth... buttons that wouldn't work, gestures that don't register, drawers and screens that are choppy, etc. I'm not saying it's all hype, smoke, and mirrors... far from it, I'm just saying the sobering truth is that execution matters.

While I would LOVE an exception UX/GUI on top of Android, they seem so close to release (conflicting reports from various CES '10 videos, one saying March- no way!- some saying June- and others not commenting), I just want to know that all the basics run smooth as glass on rock-solid hardware before messing with add-ons.

The downfall of many of these "on-paper awesome specs" products is often half-baked hardware build quality or UX software leading to frustrating instability and returns.
Demas is offline   Reply With Quote