View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 02:07 PM   #12
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
When you ask for your books to be sorted by author, they are not in fact sorted by author but are instead sorted by author_sort. Author_sort is not stored the same way as author. Instead of being an individual record per author, author_sort is kept as a single string per book.
And I suppose this makes sense, as sorting is done per book, while searching is done per author.

Quote:
Finally, a few people (I am one of them) choose to maintain author names in library order ('ln, fn') instead of spoken order ('fn ln').
One of the reasons there are only "a few" is that it's really hard to switch to your system. You really need to write the script that does a global copy of the author_sort field into the author field. I know, it's tricky when dealing with Esq., De, La, Jr., and multiple authors, but without an automatic tool, switching means facing a long manual editing/renaming session.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote