View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
The last figure I remember from Apple was 180,000,000 iBooks downloaded (not purchased) during the first 9 months of 2011. They may have ended the year with 240 million, if rate continued. If Apple has less than 5% that would mean over 6 billion ebooks downloaded last year. Possible, I suppose. Or more likely Apple has a greater than 5% share and when you add in Sony, Google, BoB, Diesel, Smashwords and the others it's a higher probability. That throws off the other figures.

The OP asked about ereaders so the above doesn't answer or help him any.
One of the reasons I focused on e-reader sales is that it's a potentially knowable number (well, knowable within a regional margin of error). You can do what Ipsos Reid did in Canada, poll people and ask them what devices they have. If you ask most people how many e-books they've purchased, they would have no idea, but they can probably tell you if they have a Kobo, a Kindle, or a Nook. A clear picture of the e-book market would be really tough without the e-book sellers offering up hard numbers, and none of the majors seem excited about doing that.

That said, any hard numbers of e-books sold are interesting too, and may help us make educated guesses on how well each ecosystem is doing at garnering fans.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote