View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Count me amongst the easily-pleased, ignorant, majority in that case, then. It just works. No fuss, no mess. If only all gadgets worked as well.
Yes, what little it can do does work. Easy to make things work when you set the bar so incredibly low (you will always have fewer technical problems with a bicycle than you will with a car). One version of the hardware only, no background operation, strict control over 3rd party apps. And it doesn't work always well. When I have as little as 3 browser windows open in Safari on the iphone I have to wait ages for anything to happen. And even when you jailbreak it, you constantly have to close the Apple apps because otherwise memory goes down below 6MB (!) everything slows to a crawl and Apple closes the apps you really want to keep open. All because Apple wanted to save a few pennies on memory and the battery.

I have no problem with the iphone being a closed system, makes it easy for those who never had a phone that could do anything but make calls before. For these folks and for those who don't want to spend any time learning some of the basics of an advanced phone the iphone may seem like a great design. But I have a big problem with the hype they create (revolutionary, advanced, way ahead of the competition) for doing things that others could do 3 or 5 years ago. And while still being unable to perform some really basic functions.

If you need to use your phone like a real computer (like I do), then run from the iphone as fast as you can.

Last edited by HansTWN; 10-15-2009 at 09:35 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote