View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #55
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

Device: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam l View Post
I see that there is no answer.
Can I get the source code for the enhanced version of djviewer so I could experiment with adding new contrast options?
Is it somewhere available on the web?

Adam
Hi Adam,
I'm so sorry that I have missed your questions. I have been very active and supportive of PB for a very long time. And I excused time and time and time again that they haven't been submitting the source code. In fact I spoke to the chief Programmer in Kiev and just got messages like: "that I will be the first to receive the source code" or "you will get the source code ASAP" and so on. I waited a months and didn't get anything. But instead of becoming vocal about it as many others did here I just resigned... in frustration.
PB seems to strongly violate the GPLs at least they were doing it for the whole time I was monitoring the forum (until about June 2011). I'm not sure if anything dramatically improved since then. Don't get me wrong, I do understand that it is entirely not the fault of the european representatives or any other representatives and even more, I do understand that it might be very busy in Kiev and that they're just to busy with other things than caring about the legal matters. So, I'm not blaming anyone here. I do know that life can be busy at times. But unfortunately the result of this is that they lost my heart, which was beating for their company. Of course this is not a final thing. As soon as I see that they cooperate more I'm more than willing to add my support to it. But they have to do the first step: I'm waiting for them to update me of where the source code is which we requested. I mean, landscape browsing in midori (which is a powerful browser for an ebook) might be just a few clicks away for me but my hands are bound without the source code.... So, at this point, I would say that they can't expect from me to follow for a year day after day what they or others say on this forum just to get the source code.
You may see that here speaks a great amount of frustration out of my message ... but there we are... Frustration is at the moment the predominant feeling.

Now coming to the source code: the European representatives of PB asked me for the source code, which I made available to them. Guess what happened: They never downloaded it from my servers.
Of course not, because the version which was available to me and which was the basis for my additions was a very old version. But it was the only version which ever had been published by PB.

Of course I can send you my source code but there is something: I've stopped continuing development on that version because PB promised the imminent publication (back in June or so) of a new version including source code. So I thought: What is the point making my improvements on an outdated source code. My additions may not even be compatible with new versions. And because of the promises I thought it's just a matter of another few weeks until I get the new source code and I will work on that. So that's the full story.

I repeat here again one thing what I said above: I may do PB injustice now as I stopped following this forum for months now. So it may be possible that things improved. If this is the case then I do apologize. Of course my critics are not related to the hard working Forkosigan and Mtraveller. Those two people do the best what they can and I do appreciate their support.

So to some extend this here is an open letter to PB in Kiev.
review is offline   Reply With Quote