View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 03:38 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Thanks for trying with so many readers! I think this really helps me finding out how to do things "right".

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I see that you have an image-only version commented out. Is there any way to add an automatic image-only alternative? If not, then sticking with the SVG approach is ok. Eventually, all ePub Readers will support it.
I don't know yet of a way to have the JPG show when SVG is not supported, but I'm guessing maybe something could be done with "XML islands" and "switch". However, if an ePUB reader does not properly support the required SVG, should we expect it to support XML islands?

Quote:
Another anomaly is that the chapter "header" appears twice in ADE (and Sony) but not under Firefox or Calibre. FBReader does not produce the CSS header appearance, but also repeats the chapter header. See the attached ADE screenshot, which has "Chapter I" repeated, partially obscuring the large M of "Mr. Jones".
This is probably because I used a <div> with the "display: oeb-page-head" CSS property. This is intended, as per the specification, to be displayed as a header for every page (until the end of the chapter), and must, anyway, be removed from the normal text flow. There is also a "display: none" property, that should be in effect for systems that support CSS, but don't recognize "oeb-page-head" (Firefox, Calibre). It seems ADE and Sony either don't recognize "none", or pick "oeb-page-head" but don't remove it from the text flow, or don't parse the CSS properly. As far as I know, FBReader does not support CSS at all, so you get no styling and "repeated" chapter names.

At the end, I think no reader supports page headers, and some do the wrong thing with them. I hate it when you cannot use a nice feature just because it causes havoc in non-complying systems when you try...

By the way, can you set any of the readers (other than Firefox, which reads the index.css) to justify the paragraphs instead of left-align?

Last edited by Jellby; 12-13-2008 at 03:41 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote