View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
stevelitt
stevelitt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Cover discrepancy on ePUb and Kindle

Hi everyone,

I'm making a one source converter from Bluefish authored multichapter well formed Xhtml to ePub, and I want the ePub to be convertable to Kindle specifications via kindlegen. But there's a problem. Here's the Kindle authoring specification: https://kindlegen.s3.amazonaws.com/A...Guidelines.pdf.

Section 3.2 specifies three methods to incorporate a cover, but two of the ways result in a no-cover ePub, at least as viewed by the ebook-viewer software that comes with Calibre.

The only method in section 3.2 that comes close to working in both Kindle and ePub was described in an exception in 3.2.3, where you put the cover image in an Xhtml file, include that file in the metadata, manifest, spine and guide of the OPF file. This gives the cover in both formats, but if you do it according to Kindle specs, the ePub's cover appears at the end of the book, not the beginning. If you break Kindle's rules and in the Spine say linear="yes", it also appears in the front of the ePub, and appears to have no bad effects on the Kindle Mobi (made by converting the ePub via kindlegen).

I could kludge up something that writes an ePub, then changes linear="yes" to "no", and writes another ePub exclusively for kindle generation. But before I do that, I figured I'd ask you guys if you have a better solution.

Would it be a bad idea for me to cross post this question to the Kindle Formats forum?

Thanks,

SteveT
stevelitt is offline   Reply With Quote