View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #13
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
honestly, if someone is interested in an ipad they really need to just go to an apple store and play with one, or borrow one from someone they know. the reviews out there go from love it to hate it but it is truly a personal device and whether it does or doesn't fit into your way of doing things is up to you.

i was interested in getting one back in january when it was announced, as time went on my interested cooled off, i figured i'd wait for version 2. but i figured what the hell and threw in a pre-order the week before they were released and picked up a 64g unit on saturday. i expected to be slightly disappointed with the ipad and found myself very impressed with it. the hardware is ok, yes it is missing a few things I wish it had right now (like a front facing camera, and a SD card slot) but i'm living with those limitations right now. but what makes the unit is the software that is out there and will do what you want it to do. my favorite app right of the past few days is NewsRack, a RSS reader. it's great being able to sit on the couch/in bed/in an airport and just easily sit and read the news feeds of my favorite sites out there without the bulky laptop. i never expected this to be the "killer app" for me. mail access is ok, but i find some quirks about apple's mail app. web surfing is just fine, better than i expected. pages/numbers/keynote are good for on-the-run viewing, editing and [i]light[i] creation of these types of content (i think of it as "office lite"). even some of the games are entertaining. ibooks leaves me missing stanza, but at least i'm able to read my books and am no longer carrying my 600 with me. i'm not so thrilled with the current newspapers, they're all quirky and operate differently. would be nice if we had some standards for navigation in these types of applications. and there's a good selection of entertaining games out there. my personal feelings go on..

my point is. this is a completely different type of computer than we're used to, it's not a desktop, it's not a laptop, it's not your smartphone. it's too bad apple doesn't have a "try before you buy" period. well, there is the 14 day return policy with a 10% restocking fee, if you really regret buying one. or there's always craigslist or ebay. but if you're really interested in the device, i say go try out one out first. you might be pleasantly surprised, or find yourself saving $500+.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote