View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #53
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
Unrealistic in your mind, not in mine... 50 year old books. Books that have already made their money in hardcover, made MORE money in paperback, then slowly faded away. Author's dead, books are of interested to a pretty small group that read some of them years ago, and now they've been resurrected in e-book form to make EVEN MORE money.

So, YEAH, I figure they're worth about $2.99 each. Publisher wants more, fine. They'll sell 'em to someone else, 'cause I can find a LOT of fine books to read that DO fit into the $0.99, $1.99, $2.99 range.
Totally agree. Old backlist shouldn't be more than about $3 or maybe as much as $4 for real classics like these.

Luckily, like DarkScribe somewhere else in this thread, I've already gotten them all scanned for my personal use. I had a bunch of them already, and I bought used DTBs of the rest, mostly for 25 -50 cents each - also giving my local library some money in the process. I then had them scanned by bookscan.us for a dollar each. Even the shipping didn't cost too much since I send pretty big batches via Media Mail. Presto, problem solved for less than $2 each. It took a little while to get them all, but eventually I did.

If RH had come out with these for $4 each a while ago, before I went to the hassle of getting them all scanned, I would have bought the lot, so they would have had $84 from me, for books that I mostly already owned in DTB. That would have been a pretty good feat. Now, of course, since I already have scans, and since they're $7.99 and up, they won't get anything. Oh well, their business decision...

I will put in a plug for one of John D. MacDonald's non-Travis McGee books. I personally love The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything. One of those few totally-LOL books that I have to read (re-read) alone.

Last edited by sufue; 01-29-2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: typo
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote