View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #35
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Not much. Kobo thrives where Amazon is absent.
Kobo's thriving in Canada and France despite Amazon beung present. Heck, Kobo now has about 50% of the market in Canada, despite that being the second market (IIRC) that the Kindle launched in globally (and the Kindle having had a head start there).

Based on that I conclude Kobo is thriving where there's a strong retail presence they can partner with (Chapters/Indigo in Canada, FNAC in France, WHSmith in the UK, etc.). There's no such strong unaligned retail presence in the U.S., though their proposal for independents has promise since (unlike Google) Kobo intends to encourage them to sell devices too.

I'm excited about the Kobo Glo. Might use it to replace my Kobo Vox, though I'll have to use the Kobo app on another device to read graphic novels if I do.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote