View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #132
jbaach
Connoisseur
jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: prs 505, pocketbook 903, onyx boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunohod View Post
Pocketbook is pretty much closed. There is an SDK and you can create new applications, but you cannot change anything in the stock firmware. It's not possible to flash custom firmware. I cannot even start porting OpenInkpot because there is no way to run your own kernel.
They've released the sources for some components after ignoring and violating the GPL for about two years. But these sources are incomplete and almost pointless given that you cannot fix or adjust anything in the stock firmware.

Onyx has got git-repositories on the github.com. You can even send them patches with fixes and adjustments. It is possible to create and flash a custom firmware. You've got root on your device right out of the box.
Thanks a lot for your insight. I saw the gpl violations mentioned somewhere before, and wasn't sure about the looked firmware loader. Having confirmation from you is good but sad info. Shame on you, pocketbook!

I also saw the onyx github repository and the root shell.

For me that alone would be probably a deciding factor in favour of onyx/m92 (I use an n900). I really hope that onyx can form their system into a development platform that is taken up by lots of people.

And that pocketbook will see the light some day :-)

Coming from this point of view - isn't the kindle a dead end in this regard as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.a.k View Post
what about comparing PB912 with M92?
Please send me one :-) (seriously - I don't think that many people have a 912 and an m92 at this point in time)
jbaach is offline   Reply With Quote