View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 05:14 AM   #102
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I'm still searching for a replacement android app and it seems most suggestions here and elsewhere are for use in a browser. I don't need much, but I can't find anything that works well for me.

I have to have the ability to read offline. That seems to knock the overwhelming majority off the list.
I want to be able to download when I choose - not when I open the app or any other automatic sync.
I need a dark theme and I need to be able to have a large font size.
I prefer mostly text, but would try any interface at this point if I can read offline.
I also have a problem getting the Philadelphia Inquirer rss feeds to work on most readers. http://www.philly.com/inquirer_front_page.rss is one of them

Here are some that I've tried and liked:
RssDemon works ok and doesn't use Google, but the font size change only sticks if you switch from landscape to portrait or vice versa and the font is too small otherwise. You have to switch for each article you open, so that's a real pain - especially since I read while I am eating lunch. This app was last updated Feb 2012 so I don't see much use in contacting the developer.

FeedMe is nice and simple but it uses Google and when you mark all articles as read it doesn't seem to stick.

JustReader is good, but it requires Google. The description used to say the dev says will switch to another feed manager, but I don't see that anymore so I guess he won't.

I've seen these suggested here, but they can't do offline - NewsBlur, Taptu, Pulse, Feedly

If anyone has suggestions, I would appreciate it.
What do you have in your rss feeds for offline reading majority of the feeds I have mostly always had the topic headline and maybe the first paragraph or so I have to go online to the website to read the whole thing anyway.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote