View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
Now I'm going to have read one of his books.

"3. Never use a verb other than "said" to carry dialogue." I agree with this but like to use "spoke" once in a while to help define who's talking. (Don't we all break the rules once in a while?) From my pending manuscript:

“And here’s the deal.” Cove paused and let the phrase sink in, his lips tight but wide, showing neither a frown nor a smile. “You know more about the silver Dodge than you’re tellin’ me.” He paused and spoke with emphasis. “I know it. I can feel it in my bones.” Cove’s head twisted and his eyes narrowed, staring dead into the Hispanic’s eyes. “Armando,” Cove said in a slow staccato voice, steadily tapping out each word. “Who’s the guy that drives the Dodge?”

And one more:

Cove spoke, watching for a reaction. “Sorry about calling you up so late, but you did say ‘anytime, night or day’?”

But maybe I'm not breaking his rule? - Tony
Not to sure about the last one, but overall you write well or is it interestingly I will look up your books.

I actually prefer books that don't say said or spoke etc. Just the dialogue presented in a way that you generally know who is speaking.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote