View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #70
Mystweaver
Nameless Being

Has anybody else suddenly realised that they've bitten off more than they might be able to chew over the course of the upcoming year? My goal is to read 50,000 pages - it's already the eighth, and I've only read 646! I'm confident that I can get somewhere in the vicinity of 30,000 pages, at the very least. The reason that I set a page-count goal and not a book-count goal was so that I wouldn't skip lengthier tomes (which I have a certain preference for) in favour of reaching that sought-after goal. It's my first time doing a reading challenge, after all, and I don't want to force a change in tastes because of it.

However, after a minute or so of thinking when I closed Jack Of Diamonds and opened up Storm Front, I became acutely aware of just what a mammoth task (for me) 50,000 pages will be - it's ~100 shorter (400-600 page) books and ~50 larger (800-1200 page) books. War And Peace has 1200 pages, according to Amazon -- I can't read War And Peace (or the equivalent thereof) fifty times in fifty-two weeks! I'm not going to give up, but I've received a sharp slap in the face from reality; slow readers aiming for fifty-thousand pages are not the cleverest readers, clearly.