View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 10:06 PM   #13
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Payment can remove ads, or payment can simply be a good faith donation to the creator.
Do I understand you to be in favor of a new kind of DRM that stops people from removing ads from books until they pay for them?

Someone will surely break that DRM. I hope you will agree with me that they need some kind of legal sanction.

Quote:
I am sure many of us have used this type of compensation method much more frequently recently.
And others have used it less frequently.

Giving away books in return for contributions has long worked for some religious books. And it probably could also work for books that raise passionate partisan feelings, like campaign biographies. But authors without a political or religious ax to grind would be at a disadvantage.

Also a problem is that most good non-fiction (and much good fiction) is created by a team including author, agent, editor, graphic artist, etc. So the contribution needs to go not a person, but to a business organization which arranges that all the people on the creative team get paid. It seems pretty unlikely to me that turning Random House into a charity is going to work.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 10-13-2012 at 10:14 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote