View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
Auron
Auron began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Mobi vs EPUB/ADE

I have been reading a lot on this forum as I have been thinking about getting an ebook reader for a while now.

I think right now my decision will probably be based on the format support.

I see a lot of people calling Mobi the 'predominant format'.
On the other hand, a lot of places are referring to epub as the 'de facto standard' and Adobe Digital Editions as the main DRM for that format.

Which of these formats should I really be looking at i.e. what are the advantages of one format over the other?

I am primarily a sf/fantasy reader - wanting to read current releases, which means I will need to be dealing with DRM (as much as I hate it).

Also correct me if I am mistaken on these thoughts about the readers I'm considering.

a) Sony 505
+ Only reader to support ADE
- No mobi support (not even non-DRM)
+ The ergonomics of this feel very comfortable when I've checked it out in person
0 doesn't support folders, but can at least tag/group books as I want (collections)

b) Cybook
+ "Best" current Mobi support
- no .epub support (or is it just no ADE support?)
- I haven't been able to see this in person, but looks a little 'clumsy' to use
- no managing of library (no folders/tags)
+ user-replaceable battery

c) Astak Mentor (I know it's not out yet, but for the right features I'd wait)
Am I correct that this is a 'rebranded' Cybook, much like the EZ Reader is a 'rebranded' Hanlin?
In which case, can I expect the same level of Mobi support when this is released?
Is there any reason to believe the touchscreen is not going to cause a similar "lack of clarity" that the Sony 700 suffers from?
Will it support folders/tagging?
Auron is offline   Reply With Quote