View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #36
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Um... You could read the post rather than scroll past it for visual entertainment? This is a site focused on reading after all. I assume you can read? Hm?
Actually Worldwalker is the only one with long posts that I do read all the way thru. I'm not complaining about people with long posts though. Thirty short posts in an unvarying block will cause people to skip those postings as well.

We've all seen it, and have at times been guilty of it too, where on threads with a lot of posts people skip ahead to the last post and make an observation, or comment, that was made only a few postings back.

And in so far as this being "a site focused on reading", that may be it's original raison d existence but is no longer true. I recall seeing a section devoted to food and drink if you can imagine that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
But page after page of scrolling through blinking winking GIANT signatures is more likely to turn me away from the site. I like the avatars on the side and the signatures small - it's easier to read and not ridiculous like some other sites. I tend to block people who have blinking sigs or avatars.

I agree with you, there have been some in the past who have gone too far. But that can be, and has been, handled by the mods in the past.

With simple mindedness we can say "No one can do this" or "No one can do that". One rule must apply in all situations. Lack of moderation and good judgment has placed many women in head to toe sacks with nothing but eye slits. And in some locations even the eye slits are covered! Yes, because a few men can not control their lust ALL women must be banned from the workplace and put in sacks.

Sadly we have abandoned the ideals of intelligence and wisdom. Because someone with a GIANT flashing signature (or ten book covers) is too distracting, a rule must be created prohibiting anything beyond a very small graphic OR 4 lines of un-bold text, whichever is smaller.

And now it's my turn to ask a question of the two of you. Why not just change your settings to hide signatures? I really am curious and I'm not being facetious or rhetorical this time.

As Tom said;
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
And, of course, for those members who still don't wish to see our artistic and creative endeavors, they can always unckeck the "Display Signatures" option by going to User CP > Settings & Options > Edit options > Thread Display Options > Visible Post Elements; although really, our signatures are such wonderful works of aesthetic perfection that I can't imagine why anyone would want to.

There's a member that has a bug crawling around in his signature area. I usually like to read his posts but don't want to block out all signatures. So when his post come up I just hit the ESC key and stop all animations. I'm flexible. Et vous?

ADDED - The same goes for Astra, I like his posts but the head banking makes me hit the ESC key. Again, I still have some tolerance for the foibles of others.

Last edited by SameOldStory; 02-11-2011 at 10:03 AM.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote