View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #70
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Let me see if I have this straight.

I think what may have happened is that Barnes and Noble was developing a new e-reader that used a new screen from eInk. Somewhat late in the development cycle, B&N cancelled the project. Much of the engineering work for the screen had already been done, so eInk was likely able to offer the screen at a somewhat reduced cost (maybe just for the parts themselves without a development fee) and with a reduced lead time. Kobo came in and snatched them up.

I think one of Nate's points that many here don't understand is that companies like Kobo, Barnes and Noble, and perhaps even Amazon aren't really doing a lot of their own engineering work for these devices. Yes, they may design the externals and choose specifications, but I doubt they're hiring engineers to do GD&T on the plastics or PCB design. That's almost certainly all farmed out to other companies.

I've seen it happen in my industry where a customer will have a supplier start development on a product only to cancel it later on. Since the supplier has already done a lot of work, they're able to apply that to future products for other customers at a reduced cost. This actually happens a lot.