View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 04:58 AM   #3
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecbritz View Post
I don't find a way to wrap text around a picture in the Sigil editing window. Is there any way to do this? (I don't know HTML encoding yet.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Then start learning. If you want to do nice things, you need to learn HTML/CSS to do it...
Toxaris is right, but I'll expound a bit on his answer

Firstly, you have to decide if you *need* wrapping and other fancy effects. They can look nice, but there is a great chance that they won't work on arbitrary reading devices and software. Keeping pictures and bylines in separate paragraphs is a good way to ensure that it works passably well on any reading devices, including small screens such as cell phones. This is important if your epub is for generic use by the public. Especially, stay away from dropcaps and similar effects, it's basically impossible to do it properly.

That said, to do it you need to delve into the code, as Toxaris said. You need basic html+css knowledge. There are a lot of tutorials on that around, I won't recommend a specific one since it's a lot of years since I used one myself, but Google is your friend.

Then, look at existing code that works, borrow it, and learn from it. There are many good candidates in the upload section here. This one is a good start. The user Jellby is an artist in this respect, the illustrated epubs made by him push the limits of what's possible while maintaining good coding practices, but it's difficult to pull off. Search for them among the uploads.

Good luck!
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote