View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I can usually figure out the meaning of words by context, and it doesn't matter how the words are pronounced. One trait readers often have is they know the meaning of a lot of words that they don't know how to pronounce.

I do think it is possible to go overboard with obscure and semi-archaic words.
I can only second that. Reading mostly in english now I have learned new words simply by seeing them in a book in context. It works even without a dictionary lookup. Amazing that adults still can learn like a little kid does when they initially learn language. Most is not taught, but learned by hearing others talk. The only drawback is that pronounciation is so irregular in english that I do struggle with that. I wish it would be more like arabic - the only language that I know of where pronounciation is 100% of what the text reads. If a sound needs to be pronounced differently, then there is a different and unique new way of writing it.

English is a foreign language to me, if you haven't guessed by now. Although it seems that I have more difficulty talking in german any more. When I have to I feel like a stuttering idiot.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote