View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
So my personal thinking is that Tom's addition of various countries' ebook sites is fine and can be a help to certain members (though if he's adding for those countries he should consider adding some for other countries represented in our membership), but the idea of noting by a nomination where it's not available if pointed out seems (and has always seemed) erratic and unnecessary to me, unless we are going to check every nomination for the same availability, and even then, since others will often feel bad and not vote for a book not available somewhere, we will end up severely limiting our options.
The idea for this came from the posts saying that some could not get Black Rain as an eBook. The idea is not to disqualify any nominations that are not in every country. Just to point out where it can and cannot be found. You can still nominate a book that is only an eBook in the US. But people outside the US may or may not vote on it based on the availability as an eBook. That is their choice. Or I could nominate a book I have as a pBook but is only available in the UK. Nothing says I have to nominate a book that's available as an eBook in the USA. As long as it is an eBook someplace legally, it's a valid nomination (as long as the book fits otherwise).

I was not trying to make it so every book has to be an eBook in every country. I could vote for a book I want to read that I cannot get as an eBook but would be perfectly OK with reading as a pBook. But it is an issue with I want a book as an eBook and it's not available. My vote would then be wasted.

As it seems, some do not check before voting if the book is available in the format they want until after it wins and by then it's too late.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote