View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #23
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Harry Potter is noteworthy because it got a lot of kids and even adults reading. It became very popular and after 14 years is still popular.
This much is true. It's had a tremendous impact. However, "great social impact" is not the same as "great literature." Not that classics need to be great. However, the name does strongly imply that they have appeal over a long period of time, and that's not proven.

Quote:
The problem with classic is that some of the books classified as classic don't fit. So what's wrong with something that's going strong after 14 years, has immense popularity, is not going away any time soon and will soon have renewed interest as well.
There's no indication that the Potter books will continue to be popular in another five years, after the end of the movie franchise, although it's possible that a tv series or mini-series could keep the books selling.

I suspect that, in another 10 years, the movies will be remembered and still widely watched; the books will be available, but no more relevant than any other modern fantasy series.

However, since we don't have a strict definition of "classic," and they are well-known as influential books, I can't see anyone insisting you can't nominate one of them. I just don't expect it to win.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote