View Single Post
Old 01-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #51
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairbv View Post
ooh, I just found this:

"even though OPS 2.0 (which is inside the EPub container) supports DTBook well enough that a DTBook Publication can easily be made to conform to OPS 2.0, this does not mean that EPub requires support for the unique features in DTBook. The only “DTBook” requirement is that all OPS 2.0 Publications must include the DTBook NCX, which is the machine-readable table of contents."

from http://www.teleread.org/blog/2007/11...point-readers/

So, epub doesn't really support DTBook, it just uses the same kind of table of contents? What's "can be made to conform" mean? like, DTBook's spec could be tweaked a little? or a rigidly made DTBook could as-is meet OPS requirements? Does that just mean not using any of the dtbook-specific tags so that it was just semantics-free html? I'm assuming a DTBook doesn't start with an "HTML" tag or anything like that though. Maybe they mean calling it "out of line" xml (ops 2.0 #1.4.1.4), ignoring the semantic data in the file, and including a link to a transforming stylesheet? Doesn't sound pretty either way.

but then later I see "DTBook is valid markup for use as content (along with XHTML)"

Then again from here it also looks like content is an "either/or" of html or dtbook (or maybe xml .. + stylesheet?):
http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops/OPS_2.0...Section1.4.1.1

they also talk a lot about CSS in this spec, but seem to be referring to it as xml stylesheets. I thought xml stylesheets where xsl, not css? or are they talking about xsl?

and then in 2.6.2.3.1 I see "If the Reading System is capable of processing the document format of chapter2.xml then the link resolves to chapter2.xml. Otherwise, the link resolves to the fallback for chapter2.xml, which is chapter2.html" .... so, ... yeah, ... a bunch of if statements to find your content, based on which style of content the particular reader has implemented a way to render. This all seems pretty lame to me.
It can support DTBook but this is a different mimetype so they can't be mixed in the same book. Although some features can be mixed if they can coexist. Like Digital Editions not all ePUB documents are the same type which is why the mimetype is so important and required to be in clear text at the begining of the file

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote