View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #118
Dave W
Connoisseur
Dave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-600 & Nook ST w/glow light
I've been following this thread almost from the beginning and no one seems to have looked at the problem the way I have. When I first got my 600, I plugged it into a USB wall charger that I had for my iPod. It appeared to charge okay, but died in less than an hour. I did notice that the charge light went out in about 5 minutes which seemed a little weird. So I plugged it into a USB port on my notebook computer. Then it took much longer to charge and behaved as I would expect when I used it. I wrote to Sony and they told me that, unless I bought their wall charger, it had to be hooked to a port on a computer. The charge logic actually looks for some signal on the USB port to tell the reader that it is connected to a computer. Many in this forum claim that a play station charger will work, but it is possible that it won't work with all units. I notice that the wall charger input is labeled as 5.2 V. All of my Radio Shack wall chargers are 5.0 volts. It appears that Sony has done everything in their marketing power to force you to buy their charger if you don't want to always be hooking it up to a computer.

From what I can see in the original poster's message, he was running afoul of Sony's rigid charging spec. It was exactly what I observed until I used a PC USB port. I think it is rather arrogant of Sony to force you to buy their wall charger. That attitude could lose them some loyal fans who will jump ship and buy a competing product.

Dave W
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote