View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 01:04 AM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Did you get a better result from the TTS on your review unit?
Did you mean TTS or OCR?
There is nothing wrong with TTS, except for the missing voice for my mother language.
In your sensational review you do not talk about TTS at all. You did trash OCR, and rightfully so. It was crazy idea to begin with, IMHO ;-).

By the way, I noticed you always go for All-Or-Nothing. The reader has many shortcomings, yet it still supports *way* more configuration and customization options than other readers. But, you have to go for the sensational headline instead of exploring all the options the device supports.
It has very small dimensions, It has magnets at the back (allowing for very elegant covers),
It supports custom fonts, dictionaries, shutdown pictures, it offers 49 voices for TTS, it offers a lot of applications out-of-box, There is "sync PockewtBook" and Dropbox supported out of box, there are already third-party apps available including a terminal emulator or ftp server, there are two apps you can use for opening epub, there is configutation file in device you can use to tweak fbreader appearance, pdf reader supports manual page crop (which can even be different for odd and even pages!). But no, OCR doesn't work on the first try and after 5 minutes of trying you declare it trash ...

I personally am frustrated with some software and UI choices but a job of reviewer is to take a full and balanced picture. Describe all bad AND good features.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote