View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #12
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
I wonder if there will be any user accessible storage on an 8GB version.

*sigh* I think BN need to get their head out of their rear. Personally I am not that interested in a 7 inch tablet (I am a bit) and I have an iPad 2. That said, as cheap as these are I'd consider getting a cheap 7 inch tablet as a play toy and ultra portable. However, both locking down almost all storage for BN content only and then locking the device in to your own market and prohibiting sideloaded apps just kills it for me.

I'd bet it probably kills it for a fair number of people as well.

The limited user storage space annoys me about my nook simple touch, but at least the ~240MB is plenty for a couple of hundred books and some wall paper. The 1GB on the nook tablet MIGHT get you a single feature length movie at resonable quality (about 25% of my SD movies fall under 1GB in size). At least the fire could fit 2-3 movies and some apps, a bit of music and some books on it and it could all be sideloaded.

The nook tablet could fit some music and some books and maybe a TV show or a low quality movie sideloaded (and no sideloaded apps, because those won't run).

Get your head out of your butt Barnes and Noble. Remove the ridiculous ban on sideloading, or at the VERY LEAST, remove the restriction on the user inaccessible storage space. Even at price parity, the extra costs in having to buy from your limited app store (which tends to have higher prices, some significantly higher) as well as pretty much being forced to buy SOME kind of microSD card to get storage space parity, and a fast one too if you want stuff to load at any kind of decent speed (to the card, not say playing a movie or something which a class 2 card is fine for) means that the device, both immediately and down the road is not at price parity to the Fire.
The new 8GB tablet will have 5 GB user space.
I also noticed this footnote in the current tablet specs:
7NOOK Tablet- 16GB: 1GB = 1 billion bytes. Actual formatted capacity may be less. 13GB for content, of which 12GB is reserved for NOOK Store content. If you want additional memory for personal content, you may use a microSD card of up to 32GB. If you want to re-configure the internal memory of your NOOK Tablet-16GB for additional personal storage, you need to visit your local Barnes & Noble on or after 3/12/12 for help in doing so.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote