View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by beespeckled View Post
Madeleine Brent, I don't know if she(he actually, since it is a pseudonym for Peter Odonnell?) is available in ebook format. Have you read any Elizabeth Peters? Her character Amelia Peabody is a turn of the century archaeologist. Elizabeth Peters also writes under the Barbara Michaels name. Stirring the cobwebs of my reading past by doing a search I found several more authors in that vein that I used to read
Edwina Marlow
Mary Roberts Rinehart
Barbara Wood
Anya Seton
Anne Maybury
We might have some of the same cobwebs as I have some of the same authors. Did you ever read Gothic Journal magazine? They put out a small print magazine for several years, before they decided they couldn't compete with on-line reviews. They had great author profiles on Gothic romance authors. As one who wrote a couple of those, believe me, it's hard to track down information on some of those women (and men)! A publisher trying to track down a writer or their estate would have a hard time in some cases.

Sadly so many of the best known authors died before ebooks became a popular idea. (Although Mary Stewart is still alive!) They're also out of print and out of mind. While some of the Zebra Gothic authors from the 1980s have gone on to reissue their Gothics, it's harder to find ebooks by the older names from the 1950s-1970s. No Mary Stewart, no Phyllis Whitney, etc. Although I did just check Victoria Holt, and they now have Kindle editions. There are Holt, Barbara Michaels, and Rinehart ebooks. And there's some Velda Johnston there as well. So it's a start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beespeckled View Post
I just recently finished reading Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian which is definitely a literary Gothic take on Dracula. I enjoyed it.

More modern style equivalents authors could be Mary Higgins Clark?
I have The Historian, but it's soooo long that I'm afraid to start it. I have read Mary Higgins Clark, although mostly her earlier books. I see her as more romantic suspense-ish, but that counts, too. Sometimes the difference between Gothic and romantic suspense is what the publisher choses to call it.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote