View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 04:39 PM   #55
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
Funny, what you said above about "not that important to me since my local libraries don't have a good selection."

This was almost word for word EXACTLY what my local Kindle pod-person said, when I inquired if perhaps SHE knew how to get the Kendle working with Overdrive so we could transfer library books.

The Overdrive section of my local library currently lists 685 Epub titles, which may not sound like much, but it includes a really nice selection of both New York times best selling authors and popular works from lesser known authors.

Do Kindle owners think it makes them seem worldly and important if they imply that they just couldn't possibly live for even a minute without access to such popular world shaking titles as "Farming Practices of Western Siberia 1645 to 1840" ?
It's not a question of not having "Farming Practices of Western Siberia" or any other such type of facetious book available from the local library, it's the fact that if you are a genre reader, one in which most of the books are issued in paperback and not in hardcover, those aren't the books that libraries, with their limited funding, tend to buy.

So it's not pod-speak if someone is saying that the books they tend to read are not available from their public library. And it's not boasting on the Kindle owners' part if they claim that they have better access to a wider assortment of ebooks - it's merely the truth.

I'm not a Kindle owner, so I have no vested interest in promoting it but I am a library-card holder and I know for a fact that my county-wide library system doesn't carry either the books or the ebooks by authors I enjoy. In order to get some of ebooks that my library doesn't provide access to, I'll buy the Kindle book via Kindle for PC and strip the DRM so that I can use it on my ereader. So in many instances, the Kindle system is more useful than the library system.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote