Thread: Hacks kindlepid/kindlefix 0.2
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 11:22 PM   #12
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Scotty, forgive me if I'm misunderstanding your post, BUT, Kindlefix does NOT crack drm. It simply allows the books to be read on the Kindle

The books are able to be loaded on the Kindle, true, but they expire after the loan out period, just as they do on your computer.

No harm, no foul.
The problem isn't KindleFIX (or last time I checked it wasn't, lord knows what else it does now too) but rather the PID generator. There is no supported means of getting the PID for a Kindle or for the Kindle app on the iPhone. Amazon's DRM scheme for the Kindle eco-system does not want or need for you to know the PID used to secure your books. By making the PID secret Amazon bolstered the security of the existing Mobipocket DRM scheme. Because once you have the PID used to encode your books, there is a tool that can decode all the ebooks you've purchased from Amazon with that PID.

Any tool whose sole purpose is to facilitate circumvention of a digital copyright protection scheme is illegal under the DMCA. Other than cracking I know of no other legitimate reason for the PID generator to exist. I patiently await someone to prove me wrong. I'd hate to think Igor has gone over to the dark side.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote