View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
fgruber
Edge User

I doubt that the market for applications optimized for dual screen is large enough for programmers to make the changes.

That's why it would be very useful to find a way to simply run an arbitrary application in the e-ink. How about having 2 android running? One of the eink and one for the LCD? Anyways I have no android programming experience so it is not for me to say what is possible and what is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
Ok, probably someone who have big expirience with programming for Android will explain things better.., but for now, as far as I understand:

1. Android doesn't support multiple-displays. So it can work only with one display (on eDGe android use LCD, and eink used by separated linux software). Other developers use different tricks to use 2 displays with android. For example NooK use one virtual screen (consists from 2 area, 1st for LCD screen and 2nd for eink) which than rendered on both displays. On the other hand AlexReader used LCD screen for android, and to display image on eink they use something like virtual printer which transfer content from android to eink screen.

2. Becouse of Android doesn't support dual displays there's no easy ways to run an application on separated screen. So if you run Android on LCD -- all apps will use LCD only. If you run Android on e-ink -- all apps will use e-ink only.

3. Currently I don't know if there's a way to switch displays used by android without rebooting. If it's possible, than probably we will have ability to choose current display used by android, and run application using current display. But if not, there's absolutly no way to use android apps without modifications (apps rewriting).

4. But if there will be an option to choose active display for android (while booting) there will be no problems with apps (exclude screen update speed, which is not critical for many apps). So you will get immidiate support of current apps on e-ink. That means that you can browsing internet, read html, djvu, docs, fb2, comics e.t.c. on e-ink screen, writing on e-ink using USB keyboard, working with DOCStoGO,

5. It takes month to rewrite an apps to support e-ink screen. It takes few lines of code (I mean several hours of programming and testing) to make e-ink primary android display. So you can wait 2 month for browser on e-ink, or you can wait several days and get this+many other apps on e-ink screen. What will be your choise?

borisb, you can use LCD as e-ink then (i mean PDF and Journal), or as keyboard, or turnit off to save battery, or you can use camera (located on LCD), and control camera from e-ink side (placing edge like reverted V on table, facing cam to an object, while controlling or reading on e-ink side). e.t.c. Possibilities are endless.

So what you prefer: to get all this features in next few weeks , or waiting at least several monthes more while developers adapting apps one by one?