View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 04:44 AM   #327
Trenien
Groupie
Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Librie, eReader, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
You are right of course. But look how it went on the music market. Sure, music companies ignored the wishes of their customers for legitimate download opportunities long enough. But of course there was an alternative. Everybody could have bought an actual CD, ripped it (though in many European countries this is illegal if the CD is copy-protected) and transferred the music to their MP3 players. That was and still is a (half) legal way to get music for your MP3 player. But what did most people (yes, also me) do? We used P2P networks to get the music free.

Now the music industry goes around an begin to sue people for up- and sometimes even downloading music from P2P networks. Suddenly it becomes more and more dangerous do get music through those channels. And now sales on legitimate sites are going up constantly. People switch to legal ways. This is partly because of the danger to get sued and partly because even DRM music is easy to use these days (iTunes).

Alan
Until that comment, I thought you were just a somewhat blindingly "letter of the law" abiding citizen. Then this came up.

Although the second part could be that of someone blinded by the propaganda, the first isn't.

Either you're a fool, or you're a shill of the industry: whatever the spin is, in most European countries it still is legal to make a back-up copy of a CD or to rip it for personal use.

I think nobody is that much of an idiot, so my guess is you're in the later category.
Trenien is offline   Reply With Quote