View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
troykm
Connoisseur
troykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
Eco reader Review

Well after numerous emails to cbell, i feel its my duty to provide a review of my ECO reader :-)

I will start by saying that the first device i bought had a defective screen, but i exchanged it and the new one is flawless.

I wanted a dedicated e-reader as i was reading on my iphone+stanza. a good mix for about 20 min's, then i would either end up with a headache or slightly blind for an hour or two LOL. So i looked in to the e-reader solution, and i knew nothing about them, so researched almost every brand and device.

I was going to get the kindle 2, based on mostly, looks. I am glad i picked the ECO reader.

The ECO reader is not locked in to any store!!! BIG PLUS! i can buy books from anywhere really (geographical restrictions dependant) or download books from free site's, and indeed on this forum. I was surprised how many free books there are out there. (not that i have any issue paying)

It was great that, no matter what format the book i downloaded was in, i just dragged it to my sd card and opened it on the ECO, easy.

The device its self is great. Its not much to look at when you first see it, but that is a good thing, as when you in to a book, you don't want to see the device! (make sense?) it disappears nicely into the background. I know it has been said b4 but, the screen really looks like a piece of paper with real text on it. If it were not for the button pressing to turn the page, you would forget it was not a "real" book.

Page turns are about 1 second, and i like this as it gives me a chance to blink and focus :P Folders are a great feature, as one giant list of 300 books would just be annoying! I have mine sorted by author.

Although its not officially supported, you can use mobipocket reader software on your pc to get newspaper, magazine and blogs onto your ECO via RSS feeds. Just set up your feeds, update them, then right click - send to removable disk and its done, takes 10 seconds!

The only thing i really wish for would be (and i think its more to do with the book format than the reader its self) is more font options. I would love there to be an inbuilt override to the font the book has so i can change it to whatever i wanted, and even a bold text option, as sometimes my eyes can focus better on bold print. This is just a wish, not a deal breaker.

Over all my experience these last 2 weeks have been most enjoyable, support from DA and notably cbell has been great. (although me thinks she has seen my email address enough :-) )

Get an ECO reader, you wont be disappointed

cheers

troykm

Last edited by troykm; 10-25-2009 at 11:37 PM.
troykm is offline   Reply With Quote