View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #20
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Thumbs up

Wow yifanlu,

thanks for all the amazing stuff you're producing!

The jailbreak came just in time (1 day before I got my KT), and since then, I have been poking around on the device. I actually did install your launcher yesterday but didn't get around to code anything for it yet. I'll take a look at the installer now and test-drive a bit.

As to my own intentions, besides playing around I was looking a bit closer at two things:
- WPA-PAE encryption. I use this, and by now I do have a working shell script with wpa_cli etc. (and an ugly hack in the pillow/JS UI to invoke it) for my own setup.
- Localization. (JS UI for now, Java parts later).

My idea is that it should be (is) relatively simple to modify the UI, and its functionality, using JS itself. Strings and functions -- essentially, arbitrary parts of the JS subsystem -- can be modified at will by simple script-src'ing other JS scripts from the HTML. But there must be a better, less intrusive way (i.e. ideally without modifying the root fs at all).

BTW, I think the launcher is a great opportunity to make the patch/hack/package/whatever-management that you were discussing in other threads both extremely easy and user-friendly (graphical UI anyone?)

I'm still trying to understand how the overall architecture is plugged together, so some insight on the following questions is appreciated. So far, my understanding is that it's a conglomerate of native Linux apps, the Java (booklets etc.) part providing much of the UI, but also pillow / JavaScript parts. All of these seem to communicate via dbus and/or lirc.

Is this correct? Can someone provide more insight into the architecture? (like, what is lirc in the first place?...)

Which method are you guys using to quickly check the results of some changes? The most reliable method I found so far is to "killall cvm" or "killall pillowd", which seems to reload everything except Linux itself. Do you know of more fine-grained/faster ways (e.g. when putting new files in the classpath, or changing a JS file). Are there any ways of debugging?

Two final things: if anyone is interested in the localization and/or WPA-EAP part, let me know.

And: how do you guys consolidate all the information from the forums? I know forums are a great way to communicate and share, but the info tends to get scattered around. Sticky threads are a workaround, but wouldn't a Wiki make sense for aggregating the infos in a structured way(or does one exist already)?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote