View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #95
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
But then again, I know what to be aware of when surfing the net, so that might account a lot for my attitude towards the problem. For Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, it would be best to advice them not to go for the shady sites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying every Mac user needs additional AV. I just think you can argue for or against just as easily at the moment. So those who don't run it are no more in the wrong than those who do.
ESET Cybersecurity identified 30 malware incidents on my Mac while scanning downloads during the past 2 years. Admittedly some of my downloading was on the shady side. I suspect most or all of those malware items were targeted specifically at Windows systems, so probably wouldn't have harmed me and my "Mac life" directly. But eventually those Windows-specific threats may have caused harm on Windows PCs of family or friends that my Mac occasionally interacts with. Or eventually, if I put Windows back on my Mac, they could have caused problems there.

Since I'm neither a saint nor particularly tech-savvy in the computer security arena, to me operating without a good malware scanner would be similar to skydiving without a reserve parachute, picking a fight in a Harley biker bar because I'm an obnoxious Ducati rider, or not bothering to innoculate myself if I were a doctor or nurse working an infectious ward in the hospital. Just because there are currently few threats targeted at OS X doesn't mean there won't be more in future. I also don't want to aid and abet hackers targeting PCs, through my own security-related ignorance or Mac-oriented arrogance.

Last edited by unboggling; 06-23-2012 at 09:40 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote