View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #55
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Oh, is Sony going DRM free in their european store?

Cause, last I heard, Adobe DRM is *still* proprietary. Adobe still controls if a book will or not open on your gadget or reading app.
Lock in to Adobe is not terribly different than lock-in to Amazon, B&N, or Apple.

The only fully open and transportable way to get ebooks is DRM-free.
The rest is just fiddling on the margins.
Agreed, and it is much easier for me to do this and keep my library long-term with a Sony device than the alternatives.

There's no need for yet another Coke-vs-Pepsi thread, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Just wanted to point out that for those of us with Sony devices, doom and gloom isn't necessarily warranted. For example, between the time I bought the 505 and the T-1, Sony changed from their proprietary LRF format to EPUB. That's progress and reason for optimism IMO.

I'm not interested in restricting my purchases based on the presence or absence of DRM.

Truly free would be nice, sure, and so would free as in free beer, as long as I'm wishing.

With Sony's readers I can use the industry standard EPUB format and easily strip DRM from purchased materials. That's preferable to me compared to a proprietary format that may or may not exist in the future. And, no, once I've stripped DRM neither Adobe nor Sony controls anything about it.

Sony goes out of the ebook business, oh well, I will load my library to a new device when needed. If I was in another ecosystem that pretends EPUB doesn't exist, I'd be lucky to find a device that would read them, particularly over time.

There's much discussion of how Sony will be changing given the recent news. I see this statement from them as reason for optimism. Of course, they could still abandon their ebook business, but that's true for any organization.
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote