View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AThirstyMind View Post
Sorry, Yes I set the font in MsoNormal... no new style. The font was also set in the Heading Styles... h1, h2, h3 as well as all the styles that I created (Center, etc). I set the default font, indent, single space stuff in Word (Manage Styles) I didn't mean to mention Guide items... what I meant was that I edit the font sizes in Sigil... and look at all the html to make sure that it's what I want. I actually never touch the fonts in Sigil... they're always the default font that carries through from the Word Styles that I use. (MsoNormal, h1, h2, h3, Title, Center, etc)

Here is the HTML of MsoNormal and h1 for reference:

p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
text-indent:.25in;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
h1
{mso-style-link:"Heading 1 Char";
margin-top:24.0pt;
margin-right:0in;
margin-bottom:24.0pt;
margin-left:0in;
page-break-before:always;
font-size:14.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}

I'm doing something wrong, yes?
Hi:

Well, generally, yes. Remove the font NAME altogether-for example, change your paragraph declaration thusly:

p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{margin:0in;
margin-bottom: 0.3em;
text-indent: 2em;
font-size: 1em;
font-family: "serif";}

Now, the bottom indent, the text-indent and the font size are all sort of a guess, as I haven't seen your book. You can change them to suit yourself. You'll need to do this for every style you use in the book--remove the direct font call. If you set your line-height to lead the text a bit, you mayn't need that bottom margin setting.

You really don't even need the "serif" font-family declaration, either (TNR is the default for almost everything). And don't use font-sizes set in points; you can use ems, or even percentages (ems work better), but if you set your fontsize in points, you'll run into issues in Kindle, even using Caibre as your go-between. With regard to using Calibre, I still have to recommend against that, as Calibre books, despite all of the work everyone's done, are still being rejected at Amazon, even as recently as about 10 days ago. Not every Calibre book, of course--but it's still happening. I had one come back to me that had been "converted" at Smashwords, which uses the API--so that one wasn't even a K8 attempt.

If you're determined to use Times New Roman, you can set the font, but you'll run into the issues that you've currently encountered; an inability to reset the font with the device.

Try that, and let me know if it solves your issue. If it doesn't, there may be something else in your stylesheet that's causing it (do you have an ocean of font declarations preceding the actual style declarations in the stylesheet, perhaps?)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote