View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
? about html entries in Book Browser

Hey,

I've got two books done (via Sigil) (eg. See Screenshot "OneOfMyTwoBooks") and proofread and ready to upload. Now I just transferred an html file for a third book onto Sigil and saw that the html files in the Book Browser were being opened with Internet Explorer icons.

At that point I vaguely remembered somebody in MR saying something negative about using Internet Explorer files for Sigil (and accordingly an epub and accordingly an e-book) and tracked down (I think) what was said. (I was asking about adding links and I'm assuming Dion saw my IE icons in my screenshot in my OP.) Here are my post and the response. What spooked me in the response I have emboldened. (you don't have to read the whole thing. I'm just posting the whole thing to give you the context):

still can't figure the links to blog etc.(subject heading)

I tried to follow Meme's advice

(Just use Insert Link as normal and paste the URL (http://yadayada/) you want the link to go to in the text box at the bottom of the Insert Link dialog.--btw, thanks meme)

and everything seemed to work just fine, but the links don't show up in the "book view" screen. And I couldn't figure out (I want to add it to the bottom of the TOC) how to add the "About the Author" file to the TOC. I noticed that the icon in the book browser was different for the About the Author from the others (all IE). And that it was xhtml and not html like the others. So 3 questions:

#1) How do I get the links to show up in book view (and work)?
#2) How do I add the About the Author file to the TOC ?
#3) Will I have to do the 'generate html Toc' to have the About the Author added to the html TOC? (I would assume so.)
I've attached a screenshot if that helps.
Thanks.
Attached Files

sigilscreenshot.doc (128.0 KB, 13 views)

"No man has learned anything rightly until he knows that every day is Doomsday." Ralph Waldo Emerson

03-19-2013, 08:26 PM (this is the response)

Turtle91
Evangelist

Device: iPhone 5/iPad 1&2/Surface Pro/Kindle PW 1)
You need to actually have the words between the <a> tags that you want to show up...the href element just tells the computer where you want to go.

e.g.

<a href="http://yadayada">Put Words Here</a>

Then your link will show up as Put Words Here

2)
Sigil uses heading tags <h1, h2, h3 etc> to determine what to put in the TOC. You need to put a header at the beginning of the About the Author file.
e.g.
<h2>About the Author</h2>

or, if you don't want a header to be at the beginning, this will still show up in the TOC:

<h2 title="About the Author"></h2>

3)
Once you have heading tags on all the files you want in the TOC, just generate the TOC again and it will show up! It doesn't matter if it is an html or xhtml file - sigil plays well with both.

Also, IE is just a browser that can read html files (and not a very good one if you want my opinion ). HTML can be read by many browsers - IE, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc.

Cheers,

"Live long and prosper." ~ Spock
"What's that goat doing up in the clouds? " ~ Pilot
Last edited by Turtle91; 03-19-2013 at 08:30 PM.

So, being a little spooked by what I heard from Dion, I Googled the IE question and came up with: (see Screenshot "Potential Problem").

Now, guys, I'm just a writer who really enjoys Sigil and doing this formatting on my own. I don't know if this is a problem or not. (I'm of course hoping it isn't.) These two books are completely done. If it is a problem, I don't know if I could somehow switch the IE files into something else or if I would have to start all over from scratch.

I have no great liking for Internet Explorer. I guess since it's my default browser (I really use Chrome all the time), the files in the Book Browser got opened as Internet Explorer files. (I went MS Word-->Save As Webpage Filtered-->Sigil.)

So I suppose I have four questions:

#1) Am I okay with my two completed books as is?
#2) If I need to switch, is there a relatively easy way to do it?
#3)If there is such a relatively easy way, what is it?
#3) Again, if this IE thing is a problem--or if there is a better way to go--how do I avoid it with this third book I'm about to enter into Sigil.

I know this is a really long post and I probably included too much stuff, but this situation just spooked me big-time. Thanks so much for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OneOfMyTwoBooks..JPG
Views:	202
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	105596   Click image for larger version

Name:	PotentialProblem.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	105597  
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote