View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #10
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Amazon can't unilaterally decide to sell without DRM. I think the music industry is a bit more mature in this regard where the publishers still haven't quite caught on.
This is true...but the fact that they made sure to tweak things so that the Kindle couldn't read standard DRM'd Mobipocket files does make the Kindle lock-in strategy somewhat apparent (at least to me!).

And haven't they offered many of the Tor freebies -- but with DRM added? Since Tor offered them in DRM-free Mobi format, doesn't seem that the publisher would be the problem there.

I'd love to believe that Amazon will be a force for good in DRM-free ebooks, but if so it sure isn't apparent to me -- at least to this point.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote