View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 08:22 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes_pan View Post
1. Portability: Ideally fits in pocket
Kobo Mini

Quote:
2. Large selection of compatible titles: Practically, this means can read Amazon books
Kindle, Kobo, Sony, Onyx Boox T68

Quote:
3. International: Buy anything anywhere. Not tied to one nation or one credit/debit card. I am Canadian and there is a hassle factor vis-vis Amazon USA. But I spend mist of my time in 3rd world Asia.
Georestrictions prevent this, but you can do this at the Kobo store by chaning the country you live in in the Kobo store's settings. So in this case, Kobo.

Quote:
4. Simple to use: Like a Mac in 1985
Sony, Kindle, Kobo, T68

Quote:
5. Can highlight and make notes: Ideally *save* them too not tied to a proprietary device/system. In the past Calibre software could not do this.
Sony, Kindle, Kobo, T68

Quote:
6. Clean design: Not a lot of buttons. I want to read books not type a novel.
Sony, Kobo, Kindle, T68

Quote:
7. Text to speech: Can listen to books
T68, Kindle Touch & Keyboard, newer Kindles don't have audio

Quote:
8. Durable: Shock, rain, dust
Kobo Aura H2O

Quote:
9. No computer needed: Stand alone device
Kobo, Sony T series, Kindle

Quote:
9a. Can 'lend' books
Not sure on this one

Quote:
10. Good value: features vs. price
Kobo, Kindle, T68, Sony

Quote:
11. Gift cards available: For anonymity of book purchase history
Kindle, Kobo

Quote:
12. Plays audio books
T68

Quote:
13. Can read all popular format companies and sources: public library, Amazon, Barnes and Noble
T68

Quote:
14. Can read/hear foreign language books in English: Not wonky Bing translator, I mean buying a Russian or Chinese book and being able to read/hear it in English.
NONE!

Quote:
15. Memory card slot: Not so much for number of books, but I like the James Bond feature of deleting titles when I cross borders into Big Brother lands).
Sony, T68, Kobo

Basically, given your list of wants, the Kobo outdoes the Kindle, Sony and the T68 outdoes Kobo, Kindle, & Sony.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-24-2014 at 08:18 PM. Reason: typo fix
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote