View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #146
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
As the month winds down, so too does our period for changes. I’m going to try to cover everything not yet resolved in this post, which includes the subjects of us asking mods/admins for help, vote restrictions, time periods, and categories for the next twelve months.

First, asking for help.

We do have help “behind the scenes”, so to speak, so we’re not an island without “green”.

Second, restricting votes.

I’ve bandied the pros and cons about and have come to the conclusion of leaving things as they are. I understand the concern - I’ve had it myself - but I don’t think it warrants stricter rules.

I could go into a long explanation of the difficulties such a move might engender and if there is enough of a clamour for details then I may, but for the sake of brevity I won’t now as I think most of the reasons are clear enough.

Suffice it to say, a good vote in my opinion is an honest single vote cast by someone interested in literary works, after having given consideration to all the options, without private strategy discussion, willing to read along with the club and perhaps hopefully participate in discussion as well. On these counts I hope for the best from all voters.

If we have a The Thirty-Nine Steps or an A Diary without Dates win a month despite most regulars voting for another, I think that we can gracefully make it through, though so far that hasn’t happened, and I think as things are now it will happen seldomly if ever. However, the idea is a good one and I will keep the option open to implement at any time should strange days come upon us.

Third, time periods.

There weren’t enough opinions given on the subject and it’s not something that would affect us for years to come except for possibly seeing a large group of periods continue to receive few votes each time the category comes up. But, that’s enough and so I’ll add my opinion that I’d also prefer those periods streamlined. Seeing as there has been no one clamouring to keep them as they are, we will condense them and so our next Time Period month will include the new option of BCE-1500 to replace the oldest three. (if I remember by then…)

And finally, categories for the next twelve months.

The poll was a success and now we have six great categories to go with our rotating months. Here is our schedule for the next year:

July 2014- Short
August 2014- Rotating
September 2014- Biographies & Memoirs
October 2014- Rotating
November 2014- Region
December 2014- Rotating
January 2015- Poetry
February 2015- Rotating
March 2015- Contemporary
April 2015- Rotating
May 2015- Time Period
June 2015- Rotating

I want to give a warm thanks for the thanks I’ve gotten for running the club and for the support of the club that’s kept it happily chugging along. Here’s to a great year of reading ahead!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote