View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #127
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
That was the point. You can't rely on being able to open file saved 20 years ago.
You are, of course, right... if the file was left on permanent medium, buried in time capsule and said time capsule is opened 20 years later.

In reality, the changes of the backup medium, and format conversions, are handled at the time when the move to the new technology/format is made.

I still have some data that made transition from being stored on VAX/VMS tapes, to PC 5.25" diskettes, then to 3 1/2" floppies, then to CD, then to DVD's, then ended up on my (redundant) hard disks that serve as backup media today. More recently, I have converted all .lit books to ePub, and I expect to be able to read those books 20 years from now, should I live to see that day.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote