View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #65
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
What is the goal? To nominate literary books, or to nominate literary books that people will read? I can see that there are some hardcore literary participants, but I'm not one of them. I participate in this club because I want to read something I normally wouldn't, but I can always fall back to the other club if this one becomes to tedious.

We had two full nominations using a granularity of 20 years, so bump that up to 40 years? Or, how about, if your the first to nominate a pbook, you must also be the first to nominate an ebook also (otherwise your pbook nomination is null and void)?

Or keep it simple, since this is Mobile Read, all ebook nominations must be available in ebook form.

I think I'll do a poll.
Well as far as the overall goal of the Literary Club that is something that you will have to mainly take up with Sun surfer. The time periods selected for this month as well. My understanding is the goal is to have nominations that meet the test of:

Quote:
What is literature for the purposes of this club? A superior work of lasting merit that enriches the mind. Often it is important, challenging, critically acclaimed. It may be from ancient times to today; it may be from anywhere in the world; it may be obscure or famous, short or long; it may be a story, a novel, a play, a poem, an essay or another written form.
And for this month Sun surfer proposed the additional requirement that the book be from the time period selected in this poll. The period 1981-2000 was the one selected.

Looking at the list of books nominated in the thread above I do not see that the limit to 1981-2000 presented much of a constraint on a lot of great books being nominated. I could have easily nominated three more, two like my actual nominations being available as ebooks and one that is not. I wanted to keep at least two nominations available to use on other peoples nominations though.

As far as limiting the club to ebooks only, as is the case for the other club, that has come up before. If Sun surfer wants to put that issue up for a poll I would not mind. I stand by my statement that limiting to ebook availability will result in severely limiting the choices in the “doughnut hole” between public domain books and books in the last decade or so. The same sort of problem would arise if a 40 year—1961-2000—had been selected.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 02-13-2012 at 08:36 AM.