View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #43
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
Hi all,

I haven't used any of these before, but the thread piqued my interest.

Some of the suggestions here have had a lot of work done to them and it shows in the attractive UI.

I wanted to try Contour (not mentioned here), but it wouldn't install - I just got a "package unzipping" message or similar, and then nothing. So far I have yWriter, Storybook, WriteWay, and StroyBox that I am having a play with.

yWriter so far has me a little more hooked than the others, because it allows me to import an image of the location I am writing about - whether it be a map, a landscape or a room. Though it doesn't allow me to edit the imported text as far as I can see, which would make it unsuitable for me.

I like those applications that allow me to write and edit within it, rather than just import "completed" prose. (From experience, I regard very little that write as "finished.") There are limits to how strong the editing tools need to be, but as somebody who sets up his pages with paragraph styles routinely, I would probably miss this feature. And what if the importing didn't include links back to the original file?

I haven't looked at how easy or otherwise it is to get the finished text "out" of these applications - if I want to get the manuscript to a publisher, for example - but I shall at some stage.

Overall, I can see why these can be of use, but as yet none has become my preferred option, but we shall see as time passes.

Cheers,

Michael P
yWriter lets me both import and edit text, so I'm not sure why you're having the problem. The only thing I can think of is if you're trying to edit the text in the content tab at the bottom right of the main window. However, if you double-click on a scene in the scene list above, it will open an editor window where you can edit and compose text as desired.

Hope that helps.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote