View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
klonuo
klonuo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Library management, PDF tags issues (new user)

Hi,
I just downloaded yesterday Calibre, and must express my greeting to it author/team for making such pleasure software - great experience.

My main reason for downloading was taking advantage of conversion feature in Calibre for my Nokia smartphone (which is not ebook-centric as iPhone or Android are) but then working inside the program is much nicer than when I first tried it long time ago.
I still haven't decided if I'll use any available ebook management programs, but there aren't any worth mentioning IMHO. Probably too many formats, complicated tagging systems, user preferences...

As I said I liked this new Calibre experience, I tried it again and have some issues regarding using Calibre's Library Management that I want to address:

Most important to me: Please don't touch my files:

This is addressed in FAQ, but answer was not enough
I spend some time making python automation to clean (ghostscript), then tag (Google Books and pdfmark file with ghostscript), then add covers to my files and they are sitting where I want them - in one folder per format with fast accessible CSV root file containing all the info I need. I understand that for most users, copying/moving files without user confirmation (ala iTunes) is OK, as just dropping the file in Calibre and letting it take care of rest is indeed very helpful. But I don't appreciate separate folder for every ebook starting with Author name then Title and so on, as this scheme is only valid if I use only Calibre. Don't want to imagine browsing with file manager through that tree, or having two copies of the same files. But then even if don't have anything against this scheme:

Calibre doesn't read PDF 1.3 properties (InfoKey/InfoValue) created by using pdfmarks file. This tags are read in Acrobat, Windows explorer, pdftk...
Unfortunately also, if I try to tag my PDF files with Calibre automation, all tags I already had are gone

This couple of notices are stop for me and I would like to know if there is some easy way (change some python source file) so I can avoid it

Thanks
klonuo is offline   Reply With Quote