View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Consider these specs as a baseline. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't see a lot of other choices (yet)...
* 10hrs+ battery life
* Backlit 9"+ hi-resolution color screen
* Small slate or convertible tablet form factor (netbook size or smaller)
* PDF, txt and ePub support
* Price below $500

And that has absolutely nothing to do with any of the "Apple mystique" or the iPhone OS...

And if you are very patient, there should be some solid Android tablets to compete sometime in the next year. But I suspect anyone reading this is too tech-hungry to be a patient buyer, so that's definitely an unlikely scenario!
I am one of the tech-hungry, and that's why I was so disappointed with the iPad, after waiting for it for six months. So now I am waiting for the Androids.

All I really, really want, in addition to the iPad's features, is a full browser, with Flash, and a bigger screen, so I can finally use my favorite format, PDF. And a more open OS, so I don't have to waste time jailbreaking, or fearing the next update.

I am hoping that you are wrong about having to wait for "solid Android tablets" until next year.

IMO, the main reason for the wait is the January 2010 introduction of the Cortex A9-based Tegra 2s (the iPad uses a chip based on the previous generation Cortex A8). Tablets based on these chips should be coming to a shelf near us in the next couple of months.

I would not be surprised if Google introduces a Tegra 2 tablet at Google I/O on May 19th, when they will likely introduce Android OS 2.2, supporting full hardware-accelerated Flash. I would expect the Adam shortly after that as well.

Frankly, if I didn't believe that a better Android tablet was within 2 or 3 months reach, I would have grabbed an iPad by now

Last edited by Sonist; 04-26-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote