View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
rplantz
rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer A500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
...Even all ligatures and kerning created by LaTeX will be displayed, as they are "hard-coded" in the PDF (the case is different with ePub, where it is the reading software that must apply these typographic features, and often does not).
This reminds me of a student finding several dozen misspellings in my book. Most of them were two words that had been run together. When I looked at the pdf file, in each instance there was clearly a space between the words. Turns out that he had copy and pasted the text into a Word document, and the spaces put there by LaTeX were too small for Word to recognize as spaces.
Quote:
Perhaps you want to create a black-and-white ereader version, given that most ebook readers have black-and-white screens (not every ebook reader is an iPad, you know).
Excellent point. One of my goals is to make the book as widely accessible as possible.
Quote:
As for the font, Lucida is not free, but if you bought a license you can embed it in PDFs, that shouldn't be a concern. If you don't have a license, maybe the kpfonts package suits your needs.
Yes, after posting I discovered that lucida is not free. Another goal is to keep the cost of the book down, plus this will be low volume. I will check out kpfonts.

Thank you for your very helpful comments and suggestions.
rplantz is offline   Reply With Quote