View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I think the key words here are 'big money'. As much as I like electronic paper, I am not sure it is a mature technology yet. It works great if you want to display black and white static images, not so much for anything else. As a result, I think LG probably is interested in dipping its toes in, but it doesn't expect a big jump in the market... not at least until color epaper gets much, much better (both in terms of contrast, color and refresh rates).

--
Bill
Uh-huh.
It is early in the history of the commercial ebook business. We're just coming out of the hobbyist/enthusiast era in the bigger markets but many haven't even started to mainstream.
There is no way to know how the market will shake down for the long haul.
(That's one reason why I find all the Amazon-bashing amusing: ebooks still make up only 10-20% of the entire industry.)

Current eInk displays are useful but there is no guarantee that the evolution of reader devices will remain tied to it for the long haul, just as there is no guarantee that Mobi or epub will be the last word in ebooks.
(Check this for an interesting development: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170899)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote