Thread: Content Server
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar View Post
Ok...after much adieu, it's working! (famous last words). Thanks for the link the other thread.
You're Welcome, I'm glad you got it working.

Quote:
Too many IP addresses!...speednet showed me one, my router showed me another and Calibre showed me another one (not cluing me into the fact that this is only local). However, this is the only IP address presented by Calibre as the way to access your library anywhere in the world. So this cryptic journey has not been a welcome one, eating up way too much time.
The test IP is a local loopback used for testing on the machine you are on.

Depending on where you look the router will show you both your local network IP, most likely 192.168.x.x or it will show you the external IP (same as Speedtest.net). It can be confusing. On the Preferences - Sharing over the internet page calibre says to use http://myhostname:8080 or the IP adress of the computer calibre is running on. In this case myhostname refers to either the static name you got to use as an external pointer to your LAN or the actual external IP address that speedtest.net gave you.

If you are connected directly to the internet the IP of the computer calibre server is running will work fine, but most of us have a router of some sort in between our local computer and the internet. In which case it is up to each of us to configure our router to allow the external internet through our router to our server. Calibre has no way of knowing how each of our homes are configured.

If your up to it maybe you could contribute a How-To document explaining how you managed to get your home server connected to the internet.

Quote:
I tried every one of the IPs above and nothing worked.
The IPs I listed were examples of ones that would not work since they are all local networks, virtual networks or loopback test. The IP Speedtest.net showed you is the external, internet facing IP. When you set a forward it allowed info from this address on the port specified through your router to the machine the port was being used on within your local network.

Note that on occasion your ISP may change the external IP address when this happens your content server will stop connecting and you will have to update the IP in whatever program you are using to connect to your server.

Quote:
To all, thanks for all the help and ideas, I hope others will benefit by this thread.
hew.... (Calibre, why didn't you just tell me in the first place)
You are correct there is room for a good tutorial at least explaining where to find the info for port forwarding and how to locate your external IP.

LAN management and local router configuration is not part of calibre. If you have a router port forwarding is knowledge required to get many programs access to the internet at large. I have never setup calibre for access to the internet, but have run into multiple other programs that required port forwarding for the program to properly work. It seems calibre was the first program you personally have run into that required this.

Good reading!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sharingovertheinternet.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	98515  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-30-2012 at 11:19 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote