View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 06:18 AM   #67
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
For example, I came across the word 'irrefragable' in a Richard Dawkins book last week. Although I had never seen it before, it was pretty obvious from context that it must mean something like 'impossible to argue with' (and no, I still haven't looked it up).
I like my MacBook Pro. Right-click on the word, look up in dictionary:
Quote:
irrefragable |iˈrefrəgəbəl|
adjective
not able to be refuted or disproved; indisputable.
DERIVATIVES
irrefragably |-blē| |ɪ(r)ˈrɛfrəgəbli| |əˈrɛfrəgəbli| adverb
ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: from late Latin irrefragabilis, from in- ‘not’ + refragari ‘oppose.’
I'm so used to tapping words I like to look up that I have actually "clicked" words in a magazine or newspaper, with my finger

Last edited by mores; 10-23-2009 at 08:42 AM.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote